Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hyper-Masculine and Misogynist Violence in Chicano Rap

Piggybacking off my last post on Chicano rap, I found an article that covers the mentality behind Chicano rap. Really interesting stuff. Quote:

In the last four years the violence of Chicano rap has made a profound impression on me. Chicano rappers rap about hitting each other, hitting cops, and hitting and abusing women. My first question was why do these young men spend so much time thinking about, writing about, and listening to stories of violence? For me, rap and hip hop culture, had been about escaping violence and oppression. It was about getting together and expressing ourselves with our bodies and voices. Of course, break-dancing battles often turned violent and people fought at parties that showcased hip hop culture. Nonetheless, hip hop was mostly a safe space. So, why all the violence in Chicano rap today?

Check out the rest on the site Bad Subjects!

No comments:

Post a Comment