Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Black Power: Music of A Revolution

Going to the local B Daltons, I was just browsing when I came upon this gem of a CD. I dont always buy CD's; matter of fact in the last couple of years I have brought no more than like 10 CDs. But this one was hot; its called Black Power:Music of a Revolution and it was put out by Shout Records.

This 2 CD set puts together various anthems of the civil rights/black power movements of the 60s. Not only that, it also includes quotes by such black power leaders as Huey Newton, Malcolm X and Stokely Carmichael (sorry, no MLK on here)

Although I have most of these songs in my collection, the CD is so well put together and how could I pass up a collection that has H Rap Brown, The Watts Prophets, Gil Scott-Heron and The Last Poets! Much of the soul music on here are the artists most relevant songs, such as Marvin Gaye's "You're The Man", Earth Wind and Fire's "Mighty Mighty" and The Staple Singers "Respect Yourself".

This should bring back alot of memories to the old heads who marched with King or hung with the Panthers back in the 60s, but also I would hope some of the youngsters of this generation would get this to hear music that best describes what the prior generation had to go through.

It's sad though how the apathy and destruction of today's generation contrasts with the activism and outrage of the last generation, and thats what I like about this collection, that it shows how unlike today, music really meant something. Check it out! Buy it on Amazon or directly from Shout! Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment