Wednesday, January 18, 2006

P.E.'s New Whirl Order


Download PE's "New Whirl Order" off Emusic!

Public Enemy is somewhat of an enigma in today's rap world. I think if anybody is a hardcore fan of P.E. it is me.

As it is, I confess, I am 36 years old, just brought a house, have a 9-5, and so on. When I first went to college, I was 18, and everybody was bumping the classic PE diatribe "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back".

In writing about a group like PE, you don't really look at the music per se, you look at what PE is. You look at what the day and age is. As Flav would say, you have to see "What time it is." Flav used to trip me out with those big clocks he would wear.

Today, with the unlimited power of the Republicans (dare I say?), the country on edge because of terrorism, the wars in Iraq and the up coming war on Syria? Iran?, and it is ideal that PE come back and drop another. Not only does PE have the task of trying to be a thorn in the side of the Republicans, PE also has to contend with their peers, most of whom were in diapers when PE put out its first album, and with a Nation of millions of indifferent rap fans. What irony there.

Just think, when Nations of Millions came out, it was crack, gangs, exit Reagen, enter Bush. Now its terrorism, endless war, and more Bush.

My only complaint about the album is that PE shouldve come harder. Much harder. They have alot to be mad about, after all. The only song that had me listen again and again was the rock driven "What A Fool Believes". I know there are a bunch of good bangers, but as one who can recite the track lists to all of PE's first four albums, I have to say that I wasn't really impressed by their attempts to reach kids half their age.

However, I'd have to say that I want to hear more of what this generation has to offer, like this new cat coming up named Saigon. He seems to have a real intense story to tell, and Im sure he will turn a few heads. He'll be what Public Enemy used to be. Despite the fact that this album was not a classic, I want to hear more of what PE has to offer up, and I hope they will forever keep on pissing people off more than Michael Moore!

I know that the album was released like 7 months ago, but I just had to remind you all, its out. Get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment