Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The parties are all over...after all that, nothing..........

All the effort put into voter mobilization led to nothing. Nada. Zilch. I am thankful for the efforts of Russell Simmons, P Diddy, and Ras Baraka. These people made history, and I am very thankful that they tried to spark the interest of people who don't care about anything. The youth vote, however, just did not make a difference. It came down to what some people in the South and the Midwest wanted. When I saw the map of the final electoral votes, my heart sunk.

Suddenly, my concerns felt like the concerns of a special interest group. Does America really feel this way? That we have to engage in a continuing wave of foreign wars to democratize the rest of the world? That we are going to have sixty other wars because when Bush was told that there was going to be something like 60 nations with terrorism, Bush stated that we will take them out one by one, and if necessary take out all nations until there are none left. In order to do all this, the draft will have to come into being. I can't envision a scenario that an endless series of preemptive wars will not require more than voluntary manpower. When it becomes necessary, it will go through the house and senate faster than the Roadrunner, and there wont be a thing any of us can do about it but wave a picket sign 10 miles from the White House.

Along with that, the people voted for allowing the government to make moral judgements. The Constitution will be amended, hence no gay marriage. I guess I won't really care, because Im not gay or interested in marrying one, but I really don't want Bush to touch the Constitution. Bush will also work toward overturning Roe Vs. Wade, and ending abortion. Will these people who voted for Bush adopt the unwanted children who will end up in adoption homes? I don't know. Maybe I will adopt a couple of children!I guess I should feel better that the government tells me that abortion and gay marriage is wrong, and because they feel that it is wrong, I can't do it. But I don't feel better, and I wont when be excited when it happens.

I don't really know what these 4 years will bring. But, like every other American like me, I will just be docile, accept it, and just work to get mine. That's what this country gives you, and I will take it. I will keep myself more informed, keep doing what I have to do, but as for this system and all that patriotism, that's it for me. I don't know if I will bother to get up and vote early like I did this year. I really think that the South and the Midwest will be picking presidents for the next 20 years. However, if I can work toward my own goals, do what I gotta do, and continue just to stay positive and work in mycommunity, I think that will be important to me.

The direction that this country goes is beyond my control. I feel defeated, helpless, and restrained. Therefore, I feel that I have to look at what is important and what is not. Who is running this country is just not important to me, because there is nothing that I as a citizen can do about it. I was told to be a good citizen and vote, but that was nothing but a waste of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment