Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Weekly record reviews

As much music as I buy, listen to, download, etc, I have decided to get into doing weekly record reviews. Every Wednesday, I am going to do a different review. My first review will be of the Kansas City rap crew Deep Thinkers. Thanks to Willis at Datura Records for sending me the CD, and I will be getting that together in an entry soon. Anybody interested in sending me some stuff please email me; I'm looking for the struggling independent artists, and though I have access to plenty, I want to learn about more!

Can't Stop Won't Stop

Today, Jeff Chang's book Can’t Stop Won’t Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation was released, and I'm looking forward to getting a copy. I read the sample in the latest Vibe, and it seemed so on point. I'll get the book later on this week. Check out the Can't Stop Won't Stop website. The book even has an introduction written by Kool Herc! You can't get any more real!


When did I first hear about Kool Herc?
In a nutshell, when I was younger and first started listening to rap music back in '84-'85, I wanted to learn as much as I could about this, and I lived in the Connecticut suburbs so I was pretty far removed. I listened to it on the radio, saw some stuff on TV (like that one show wonder "Grafitti Rock")but I picked up some books about it, and I read about how Kool Herc did the best parties, had the best sound system, and he used to do the toasting which evolved into rapping. Then, I saw him in the movie Beat Street, and though he never put a record out, he was, and continues to be, a legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment