Monday, May 31, 2004



P Diddy to give C-SPAN competition?

First I heard Howard Dean was getting his own TV show, and then Al Gore was getting his own network, but now Diddy of all people is getting a political TV show????????

Thanks to Hip Hop Logic I found out about P Diddy and his up and coming show, Project Change.

I'm not too crazy about who they have decided to make the host, the king of cool, P Diddy. In the press release he is quoted as saying, "I'm going to make Kerry and Bush squirm."

I'd only say that it's possible that P Diddy may, with the right priming and guidance, be able to make politicians squirm, but on the other hand, there are much more experienced people like Tom Russert at ABC who has been able to make politicians squirm for years. Politicians deal with people daily who scrutinize and criticize their every move. I think Bush and Kerry will be able to swat Diddy like a fly. Sad, but true.

If everything goes as planned, I will bet that Kerry will make an appearence being that I believe he will try to get every vote that he can. However, Bush would not touch this show with a ten foot pole because he doesn't have to. If you have all the "important" states covered and the vote of every kind of Republican, be they black, white, Latino and fudge ripple, what would you care what a bunch of rap music fans think? And Diddy making Bush squirm? Why would Bush risk the embarrasment? I can see the Washington Post and Drudge Report headlines now!

I'd much rather see Chuck D, Paris, Talib Kweli or even Ice T do the job. Diddy could get the ratings, but I really doubt that he'd lend much substance to the effort. Politics is a rough game, and Diddy can play the rap game, but can he really cut it in the political arena, dealing with these dudes. Despite my skepticism, I look forward to seeing the final product.

As for my response to this statement:

"The people who usually ask the candidates questions are screened, and I'm going to use real people off the streets to get their questions out there," Combs told the paper.

Diddy, brother, they've been doing that on C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" TV show for years. Watch C-SPAN, and see how its done!

No comments:

Post a Comment